Saturday, August 30, 2014

thomas and Lamoille

Lamoille

 Time to leave, and I hate to . This is a great place and I could hang . With some guidance I was pointed to yet another dirt road over Harrison Pass . Smack - dab - in -  the -  middle of the Rubys ! This would take me out to a real road that could get me to Lamoille . I just can't express the remote beauty these Basin mountain ranges are holding . I waved to the one pickup I saw coming the other way and stopped at a ranch turnoff near the summit . Sure enough a few minutes later the rancher driving the pickup drove up to say hello . Larry . We yakked for at least a half hour . He was out looking for a doggies that had lost their way . 3rd generation cattleman and had grandsons following in the boot steps . We talked about travel , and cheap trailers and where to stay for free . Then moved on to Florida talk because he had a buddy who had moved there to ranch . And then of course the weather . An education for me and a terrific guy to boot.

The only way I can describe Lamoille … it is a smaller , Nevada spin on Yosemite. When you enter,  it is between sheer mountain flanks . And then it just opens up .. (12 miles in length) ..in a long crescent . Lamoille creek remains mostly hidden in a tangle of Aspen and the canyon sides rise straight up to crazy heights , blocking out the rest of the world . The waterfalls must be incredible when the snow melts . Being late summer,  after a dry snow year ,there were only a few . The camp host said they really thunder in May and June as the ice comes crashing down the sides of these cliffs .







Trailhead

Trail in the canyon ( walk - run was best i could do )



here you can sort of get a feel for the glacier shaped canyon

hucks

beaver dam .... from below

.... from above

not sure what they are but I loved them

Didn't do this canyon justice with the pics . It is big . And its totally Nevada

2 comments:

  1. It was good to meet you at my caffeine shop. You must be in Jarbidge. Can't wait to read of your further adventures.
    Curtis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Curtis . Good to meet you too ! Got a great story about Jarbidge . Shoot your email address to cosolboy@gmail.com . Hows the 3 a.m. shift ??

      Delete