Saturday, August 30, 2014

nevada so far

 as in so far away and what its like so far

blah blah blah blog
Please excuse me for going on … and for too many pictures ! I wish I knew how to get up on the Soapbox , say something quick and poignant … and get off . But these places are so beautiful , so real, and so Not like "what is trending" .

And I would also like to say mucho gracias to my friends Don & Dean for helping me configure this little solar powered rig . The sun is shining guys and I ain't using my generator !!!

Nevada is the most mountainous state in the country, with over 300 individual mountain ranges and 42 named summits over 11,000 feet! News to me … and I lived next door for a total of 22 years . I always thought it to be mostly desert . My destination in the Silver State was to be Great Basin National Park , but I wanted to take the time to explore a few canyons from an old book I found at a K.W. library sale " Americas Majestic Canyons" .  The first was Lamoille Canyon in the Ruby Mountains south of Elko .

In trying to find a near--by campground I stumbled on another place on the east side of the Rubys' ( Lamoille Canyon is on the west )  . Ruby Lake National Recreation Area . Wow ! Though they use the term loosely here in Nevada ( its actually a marsh …. but if you know about Nevada ….)  it is magnificent .

 http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Ruby_Lake/about.html


It is an amazing contrast of water , dry basin , alpine type peaks and changing colors . Every night I hear the coyotes yakking . Tonite they started before sunset from down in the dry meadow between the lakes, and then ran their pack up, and thru the marsh …. announcing themselves every few hours . I love it


crazy colors for a marsh

later ... grey....

....reflections

...in with an incoming front

Add caption

long story here



the view from camp

the road in


granite





I took a long drive, further down the gravel road,  and then a dirt road, to explore where the Pony Express crossed .  A fascinating story the Express . You really get a feel for the west by communing with the various "trails" that crossed the country before the railroads . The Oregon , California and Pony Express all went through this area. Had to run on the trail ( flat and loose )

The next day was a paddle / hike day . Paddle the maze that is Ruby Lake and then run ( okay jog / walk )  up to an old silver mine partway up the mountain . I was not expecting the water clarity I got when I shoved off . It made for a great paddle and thanks to series of very high markers in the maze , I didn't get lost .
this shoulda been up there ... sunset the b4


view of the hike ... from the paddle
 The hike was to an old silver mine up the .... hill ??? .... mountain !


the silver mine is up there somewhere ... the water was crystal clear

view of paddle ... from the top of the mine


strange looking .... I couldn't figure it out

another view of Ruby's lake

the mine is up there somewhere

bee buzzing in to flower

bee buzzin off !!!

target practice



No comments:

Post a Comment