Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Waterpocket Fold .... Capitol Reef 3

Waterpocket District

Capitol Reef NP is the largest monocline  (Monocline def )  in North America . All the main street attractions ..... the Towers , Arches etc,  are mostly on one side of the Park, and I badly wanted to see the other side . I wanted to see the fold . So I took a long drive. Dirt roads, and somehow an even drier climate, dominated this side of the park . YES !  ( this 100 mike dirt road, if I had stayed on it ,  actually terminates at a ferry across Lake Powell and Glen Canyon !! ) .

 I found a dry wash to run in the middle of the Waterpocket Fold .  As the song goes  …. "its a Big Country " . I went through some great BLM land,  a huge ranch, and " back doored " myself into the park …. and saw 1 car and 1 camper all day ….. definitely worth it.  Though the pictures can't show the scope of the fold well , it was an eye opener.

the Sheets Wash made for a flat run

looking towards NE part of fold

Looking down the barrel ( zooming might help )

The Henry's

???

Capitol Reef was a blast. I could of spent another week here but the rain was enough to make a quagmire out of the trails for the next few days ! On to Escalante ( aka the Grand Staircase )

1 comment: