Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Grand Wash Trail & the Hickman Bridge ....... Capitol Reef 2

The Big Wash Trail is a 5 mile round trip through …… that's right, a really Big Wash . Minimal elevation change ( 250 feet ) and mostly a runnable surface ( not to many rocks ) made for a good run opportunity . At the turn around point there was a mountain goat trail going up to the top of the canyon and on to Cassidy Arch . The canyon was absolutely breath taking . And the weather was just like yesterday . Threatening . Luckily it held out till the end ! I got halfway up the trail to the Arch and turned around . I wasn't worried about the trail too much , though a little . I was more worried about running out 2.5 through the Big Wash if it were raining ! I don't think anyplace in the world has lightning and thunder like good old FLA ….. but hearing the thunder amplified but the acoustics of a canyon is pretty special.

A quick refrain on the exhilaration topic . Coming out the last mile I was again , exhilarated . Thinking I had pushed the envelope a little . Who do I see coming up the wash . Cranky knees and ski poles ? Thats right , Meg was just going in . What are the odds ?  She didn't seem to think it was going to rain hard enough to warrant worry . As I dashed to the car the last 400 yards , getting soaked , as I drove off with wipers wiping, I pictured her hiding under one of those ledges, thunder hammering and rain pelting …. with a big smile



Entrance to the Grand Wash

tool both

a river runs through it

tight

tighter





here it comes
safely back


Since the rain washed out the canyons , the afternoon hike was to Hickman Bridge . Tourists ... No Americans . All Euro ....... seriously . I have an opinion ..... hazard a guess ?


trail is popular and starts on the Fremont river


trail jumps up to mesa

... and into a small canyon

the pyramids

strange rock

Hickman Natural Bridge





No comments:

Post a Comment