Saturday, September 27, 2014

in the land of canyons ..... got water ?




Canyonlands is far removed from civilization, and to get to any one of its three districts requires you to travel far from primary highways . As a result the Park receives much less use than Utahs other parks.

Canyonlands NP is divided into 3 separate and unique districts . Needles , the Maze , and Island in the Sky . So you really get three parks for the price of one ….. Four if you include the rivers . Island in the Sky is an enormous , lofty, wedge shaped mesa that juts south into Canyonlands  basins towards the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers . There are major views around almost every corner, with turnouts offering far ranging panoramas of literally hundreds of square miles of canyons, drop dead cliffs , desert basins, mesas and isolated buttes …. not to mention some serious mountain ranges for background !



My first hike was the Neck Spring Trail . The Neck is a narrow ( duh ) isthmus from which there are some incredible views . The trail is a 6 mile run in and out of some neat little canyons , washes, seeps, and into the alcoves that form at the heads of the canyons ( grammar ? ) . There are backdrop-views that put the Canyonland system into perspective and even a glimpse into the long-gone days when the springs provided life for ancestral Puebloans  …. and more recently sheep and cattle herders . ( The desert is full of life ! )

About a mile in,  I met a couple coming the other way who had lost the trail and were headed back . The hubby was definitely tired and the wife was a little spooked . I assured her they were only 20 minutes away ( ok maybe 30 ) and sent them on their way with a happy face . She made a point to tell me I didn't have enough water . I tried not to smirk,  but did, politely, defend myself . …. wait … it gets better.

one of at least 3 alcoves I came to at the head of the canyons

the trip consisted of dropping into canyons , hiking up to the alcove at the head of the canyon, crossing over ... and hiking out the other side !!!




water stop



Looking down at the last canyon .... after scrambling up the slickrock in the center left potion of picture

petrified sand , aka slick rock .... Navajo Sandstone

Looking out towards the Colorado




After about another mile of  fun dips, climbs, twists and turns, ( I had picked up the pace a bit ) I started to see 3 hikers ahead of me whenever there was an open stretch . I was only gaining slowly so I figured "lets get this over with" and started running the flats and ez downs . After 5 or 10 minutes I caught up and intros were exchanged . Randy and Tracy had just moved to Colorado from Miami and their best friend Val was giving them tour of Arches and Canyonland . We talked about the couple who had turned around and how I supposedly didn't have enough water ( they all had packs ) . Turns out Val is a trail runner . We laughed it up and decided there was plenty of water at the end ! Val and I ran a bit and waited for the kids to catch up . They were breaking for lunch so before my half bottle of water ran dry I wanted to get going up . They stopped at the shady base of a big slickrock climb-out, and I moved on . AT THE END , with less than a half mile to go,  2 runners , kids , and I mean running down some scary rocky downs , passed me, about a minute apart …. WITH NO WATER BOTTLES  ! I saw them in the parking lot drinking up and speaking french . Crazy .

No comments:

Post a Comment