Friday, October 3, 2014

run for life if you can ….. hide your head in the sand ... arches



always loved that Lennon song …. but todays run gave it new meaning . After a great light show last night …. there is nothing quite like being on a big Mesa and watching T Storms move in …. I  had the opportunity to watch a rainbow form b4 sunrise ! So … back to todays run, and running for my life !
the bobCat is not making this run



I was slow getting started , storms and too much red wine kept me up . Wanted to run long ( 2 hours ) but wasn't sure what kind of shape the road and trail would be in after the rain . Cloudy and cool , good running weather but didn't look like rain . The campground is on the highpoint of the mesa, so any run that goes off-road will be downhill out and uphill back . After about a half hour it started to look like rain was starting to happen over at the campground …. so I turned back and decided to run a one minute hard / one minute ez workout on the way back.( As I would be going uphill it would be a good one) . Well dang "if in" the moment I turned around didn't I hear some good thunder rumbling from over my left shoulder . Looked around and didn't see any real mean looking clouds,  but sound travels up here so I congratulated myself on turning around. ( sorry for all that weak grammar )

Within the time it took to me smoke another interval …. flash … wait for it …1,2,3,4, 4.5 BOOM ! Now I am in for it . Should I just turn this into a 5k time trial ….. ? One more interval … really flying down a little swale …. Flash …. 1, 2,3 BOOM . Shoot … and here I am without my 5k speed !

Tell you what …. I ran hard …. watch said 6.35…. but that was uphill at 6000 feet so I knew I wasn't going to keep this up the whole way . As I make the turn towards camp with about 1k to go I get the full flash boom cycle and I am heading into it and it is headed towards me . Ever run straight in to T storm ? I bet Capt Don has …. no way I want to do it again



north window arch from parking lot !

 Arches ranks right up there with Zion , Yosemite , and Yellowstone when it comes to impact . It doesn't quite get the same numbers but it is much smaller and the astounding formations are very accessible from the road and parking lot trails . Every time I drove by on my way to Moab I would look at the long line of cars at the entrance and shiver and drive by. Today it was tStorms so I was hoping with yesterday being the annual free entrance  day that it wouldn't be so crowded . WRONG ! 

But it was entirely worth it . I put up with the traffic and went right to Windows . When I got there it was mayhem . No parking anywhere and rain starting in earnest . Somebody bailed and I grabbed a spot . Waited . Quite a while . Just when one of the "fins" in my rearview started showing sunlight on it I made a run for it…. figuring the sunshine was headed our way . The rain soon stopped and a gal who was on the same wavelength was a few paces ahead of me . She introduced herself as Mike …. and we had the whole place to ourselves for about a half hour . It was awesome . I had no idea the formations were so LARGE . The presence was just fantastic , and we talked and enjoyed the moment and managed to get in a couple more sites before the rain started again , equally as fun !


North Window 30 minutes later


turret arch from south window

this little walk had a nice zen feel

south window

both windows from the Turret Arch

me trying to stretch

Garden of Eden


this little tree managed to find some water


more of the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment