Sunday, July 27, 2014

Perry to Oak Mt to Hardy AK

The drive up from Sebring was great ….  till I got too close to Tampa . Ug ....Cut over to the coast and took one of those old US highways up to Perry Fl . The cliche in the lower keys is you know you are in Conch country when you are closer to Cuba than Walmart ... in Perry,  its you know you are in Seminole country, when you are closer to WiFi than you are to cell service !

Perry;
Rocky's campground and Deals Oyster-house !  Rockys was unique . No cell coverage but great wifi . Deals was unbelievable . Oyster and shrimp ala Florida panhandle .

The drive from Perry up to Birmingham was scary bad . It was a saturday and it reeked of the Jersey shore Saturday … 100,000 weekly renters heading home from vacation ( panama city ? ) and in one hell of a hurry !

I made it as far as Oak Mt State Park ( south of Birmingham) and luckily , for whatever reason , gave up and turned off……Oh smart move Bailey ! Miles and miles of trails . Ups and downs …. but what the heck . Saturday nite in a state park can be … meh …. but I had great neighbors that fed me and had just finished a 2 month stint volunteering at ….. WAIT FOR IT ….. the Black Hills of South Dakota . So I got the skinny !

Woke up early (even with the time zone change ) …. ran 8 on some knarly trails and was on the road by 10 . How Gnarly were they ??? They were so gnarly I did not take a camera ( phone ) because I needed both hands free to pull my ass up the hill … or more important … two hands to stop myself ( trees ) coming down !

The drive from Alabama thru NE Mississippi , SW Memphis and into the great state of Arkansas was uneventful . I landed in Hardy AK . Cool old town, with a city camp ground down by the river .... and its in the antique capital of NE Ak .... whatever that means .

The Bucci took it all in stride . Not sure if I will run or float tomorrow .
Peace



 .

No comments:

Post a Comment